The Role of Governors
The role of the governing body is a strategic one, responsible and accountable in law and in practice for major decisions about the academy and its future. The Governing Body works in close partnership with the Head Teacher and senior management team in the leadership of the academy. Governors take a full part in driving the improvement and culture of the academy. They are also Directors of the Balgowan Academy Trust.
The key functions of the Governing Body are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the academy
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the academy is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- employ all the staff as Directors of the Academy Trust
- be a source of challenge and support to the Head Teacher (a critical friend)
The Head Teacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the academy and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing body. The Governing Body is made up of representatives from the school community, including parents, staff, the local authority and the community. Further details about the role of governing bodies can be found on the Department for Education website and the National Governors Association website.
The full Governing Body meets at least once a term. The minutes of these meetings are available from the school office. Currently, the following Governing Body Committees operate: Resources; Achievement and Curriculum; Pupils, Parents and the Community, Appeals, Statutory Pupil Discipline. Please see the Committees page for more information.
Parents are encouraged to raise any issues, formally via a letter to the Chairman of the Governing Body, Mrs Tricia Spedding, prior to the meeting. Letters can be delivered via the school office.
- Governors: Key Information & Register of Interests 2016-2017 (423.1 KiB)
- Governors' Information 2015-16 (453.4 KiB)
- Governors' Register of Interests 2015-16 (357.5 KiB)