Balgowan Primary School is delighted to be part of the Nexus Education Schools Trust (NEST), a multi academy trust made up of eleven schools situated in the London Borough of Bromley in Kent. Balgowan joined the Trust in 2019 and, while working closely with NEST, day-to-day governance is carried out by the Balgowan Local Committee.
The role of the Balgowan Local Committee is a strategic one, responsible and accountable in law and in practice for major decisions about the Academy and its future. Local Committee Members work in close partnership with the Headteacher and senior management team in the leadership of the school and take a full part in driving the improvement and culture of the school.
The key responsibilities of the Local Committee are as follows:
- To carry forward the vision of Balgowan Primary School and NEST
- To ensure that standards of attainment and progress are high
- To take a strategic role in the governance of the Academy
- To support and challenge the School’s leaders
- To monitor and evaluate the work of the Academy in relation to:
teaching, learning and assessment,
effectiveness of leadership and management and
- To ensure actions are taken to comply with statutory regulations
- To implement the policies of the Trust and the Academy
- To support the strategic development of the Trust
Local Committees are one of the largest volunteer forces in the country and play a vital role in raising school standards. To operate effectively the Local Committee appoints members who bring a wide range of knowledge and experience. The Local Committee consists of the Headteacher, Community Members, Parent Members and Staff Members.
Local Committee Members:
Tricia Spedding – Community Local Committee Member & Chair
Simon Armstrong – Parent Local Committee Member
Kirsty Bassett – Staff Local Committee Member
Susan Blackburne – Parent Local Committee Member
Julie Freeth – Community Local Committee Member
Sarah-Jane Phillippo - Parent Local Committee Member
Alan Slater – Staff Local Committee Member
Maria Veysey – Staff Local Committee Member & Headteacher