- About Us
- Curriculum Subjects
Our aim is that all children:
- know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle;
- understand the characteristics of positive relationships with others;
- are aware of issues surrounding their own safety, including online safety, and understand how to report abuse;
- have respect for others;
- be independent and responsible members of the school and wider community;
- be positive and active members of a democratic society;
- develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues, building self-efficacy.
Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) at Balgowan aims to equip children with the knowledge and skills needed to keep themselves healthy and safe, build healthy relationships, reach their full potential and become lifelong learners that contribute successfully to society. We fully understand that the knowledge and skills taught in PSHE are key to ensuring children are happy and effective learners. The aim of PSHE at Balgowan is to deliver a meaningful and relevant curriculum which is accessible to all, maximising the outcomes for every child.
Our teaching consists of lessons from the ‘SCARF’ scheme of work by Coram Life Education, the UK's leading charity provider of PSHE and wellbeing education in primary schools. Our curriculum includes the statutory relationships and health education guidance, and lessons are taught through age-appropriate activities and discussions. PSHE is taught through discrete lessons, as well as part of cross-curricular activities. In addition, PSHE is reinforced through daily life at Balgowan. We provide pupils with rich learning experiences, educational and residential visits, forest school, values based assemblies, extra-curricular clubs and various enrichment opportunities.